Your Colorado DRIVING RECORD Endorsements and restrictions

Next: Your License Status

Endorsements are "add-ons"  to your license and determine what kind of motor vehicle you can operate, legally.  Typical endorsements include:  


Hazardous Materials



If you are operating anything other than a standard vehicle (cars and pickups), you need an endorsement that shows you have passed a specific and separate test that allows you to operate that vehicle. Some endorsements also require that you pass a physical  that adheres to Department of Transportation (DOT) guidelines.  

Restrictions, on the other hand, are requirements you must meet before getting behind the wheel.  The most common restriction is corrective lenses (glasses or contacts).  Other restrictions might include an interlock device if you've had a DUI, or special mirrors if you have vision issues.  

You can add a motorcycle endorsement to your license in two ways:   1.      Possess valid Colorado driver's license 2.      Pass motorcycle written test 3.      Purchase motorcycle instruction permit ($14) 4.      Pass motorcycle drive test 5.      Purchase new license with motorcycle endorsement ($23 for regular license; $37 for CDL) 
Per Colorado law, minors under 18 are required to purchase and hold a motorcycle instruction permit for 12 months before adding the motorcycle endorsement to their license. Minors under 16 must be under the direct supervision of the MSF motorcycle instructor at all times while driving a motorcycle.