Identity Theft and DMV Records

We cannot replace your license if it has been lost or stolen.  To replace your Colorado driver's license or ID card, you must take one form of acceptable identification from the identification list and provide proof of address to the DMV.    

Colorado statute no longer allows duplicate licenses under certain circumstances*; if you have lost, had stolen or have mutilated or destroyed your Driver's License, you will be required to renew the license for the full renewal fee:

Driver License/Document


 New driver's license or renewal (all ages)


 Instruction permit (all ages, includes CDL Permits)


 Duplicate license: 1st replacement

 $  7.50

 Duplicate license: 2nd or more


 Commercial license or renewal


 ID card (free if 60+)


  • All of the above include the $.60 for the ID security surcharge.
  • Licenses with a motorcycle endorsement will have a $2.00 surcharge added.
  • Colorado law prohibits a person from holding both a valid driver's license and an identification card.
The FTC recommends these immediate Steps to repair identity theft

1. Place a Fraud Alert

Ask 1 of the 3 credit reporting companies to put a fraud alert on your credit report. They must tell the other 2 companies. An initial fraud alert can make it harder for an identity thief to open more accounts in your name. The alert lasts 90 days but you can renew it.

2. Order Credit Reports

Identity theft victims are entitled to a free credit report from each of the 3 credit reporting companies.

3. Create an Identity Theft Report

An Identity Theft Report gives you some important rights that can help you recover from the theft. To create one, file a complaint with the FTC and print your Identity Theft Affidavit. Use that to file a police report and create your Identity Theft Report.